Search This Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013

Thai Red Curry, Some Fun in the Sun, and a Fantastic Upper Body Workout

Woo-hoo!!!  I managed to make it through the entire week with my early morning wake-ups which allow me to get my work-outs done before the boys wake up.  It made for a much less hectic week.  Working out in the morning definitely starts my day off on the right foot.  I'm hoping I can make the habit stick again. Maybe I'll reward myself and sleep in tomorrow...then again, maybe not :-)

Before I get in to today, check out the yummy dish I whipped up last night for dinner...


...HELLO red curry!!!  It was INCREDIBLY easy and I will definitely be making it again.  

To make it, I sauteed 1 unsplit chicken breast, cut into one-inch pieces, in a bit of coconut oil, and added salt and pepper to taste. Next, I added the following to the pan:
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 1red bell pepper, diced
  • I package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 GIANT handfuls of spinach
  • 4 cloves garlic, roughly minced
I let that all cook together for about 10 minutes before adding the following to the pan:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 T thai kitchen brandred curry paste
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • splash fish sauce
I let all that simmer on low until we were all ready to eat, probably about 20 minutes or so.  Easy, peasy!  We served it atop quinoa and pretty much licked our bowls clean.  It was that good!

It was so easy, we were able to multi-task and tackle a little homework project for music class while I cooked...


We had some interesting dinner conversations with the boys last night, most of which revolved around this...



Today started bright and early with a cup of coffee before tackling an upper body workout at home that looked like this...


...I only have moderately heavy weights at home so that's what I used.  I tried to rest as little as possible, especially within each muscle group.  It took me about 20 minutes and my arms were SPENT at the end.  If you give it a try, let me know what you think :-)

After my workout it was time for a quick breakfast before hitting the road in our new shirts and hats.  Our first stop was the park...


...it was a PERFECT morning for the park--not hot yet and early enough that NO ONE else was there.  We love it when that happens.  We enjoyed our usual favorite activities...



...as well as a new, the TIRE SWING...


...we're still a little unsure as to whether or not we like it.  "It's kinda wobbly!"

We also made it to kids yoga at the library this morning.  Joanna did a GREAT job leading the class...


...but my boys were more interested in the dinos, of course...


...we'll keep trying :-)

We made one more quick stop at the fresh market for some pumpkins, pretzels, beer, and kombucha...you know, the necessities, haha.


I'd never tried this version of Kombucha before but gave it a shot since it was cheaper than my old standby.  I still like the other kind better but this one was good.  I sure am looking forward to tasting this new-to-us pumpkin beer this weekend.  Cheers!

We spent the rest of the morning playing outside.  Check out our new fall friends...


I gotta hand it to the boys...after I convinced them to get pumpkins instead of gourds, they picked the biggest ones the Fresh Market had to offer, which great stems too.  (They're 2/$10 there by the way...hard to beat in these parts from what I've seen.)  Nice job, boys!!



Can you tell which one is Mason and which one is Colton??

When we tired of the scare crows, we decided to try climbing the frangi-pani...


After all that fresh air this morning, they should take a good long nap, right???  Hopefully it's at least long enough for me to make some popsicles with the new molds my sister sent me for my birthday.  How cool are they?!  My first experiment will be with be a blend of banana,cocoa, protein powder, and peanut butter...the unfrozen version was delicious!


I'm hoping I can also squeeze in a shower and hopefully make some more progress on my book club book which must be completed by Monday...


Fingers crossed that the boys stay asleep for a LONG time :-)  I'm only halfway through the book, haha.  

Have a lovely weekend!





























No comments:

Post a Comment