Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

Weathering The Storm

I love living in Florida 99% of the time.  Beaches, sunshine, warm weather year-round...what's no to love??  I'll tell you...tropical storms.  They don't happen often, but when they do, it's a real drag.  I think it has rained for the last week here and we're all over the dreary weather.  Thankfully the sun seems to be making a reappearance as we speak.  I hope we get some sunshine this weekend too.

Despite the rain, we've been able to get in a couple of fun outings like yesterday's trip to Stuart Ceramics with some friends...


...and our trip to art class today to make some adorable Father's Day canvases...

 

We also made a couple of trips in between downpours to go check on our favorite ducks...


I think we need to start taking some bread to them so they'll swim towards us instead of away from us when we come to visit them.  The boys love to watch them swim and waddle.


We got in a run this morning that left us a little soggy but it was actually kind of refreshing and we needed the fresh air...I needed to chance to chat it up with another adult too.  I love my running buddy!  The rain finally stopped at the end of our run and the sun came out long enough for us to snap a picture.  


 Good thing we were close to home, because the heavens opened up again big time shortly after.  One of these days we'll have to get a photo of the rest of our gang too.  

We had lots of yummy food while we've been cooped up...

Those chipotle burgers turned out pretty good.  The boys even ate them which I was seriously thrilled about.  I love that my boys will eat spicy food.  I'm raising them well!  :-)  


I topped mine with guacamole and served it with a side of collards, a couple of pieces of cauliflower, some sweet potato "fries" and homemade ketchup.

They made a repeat appearance yesterday at lunch along with a big green juice since it was slim pickings until we got our produce delivery right after lunch...


I made a DELICIOUS shrimp, garlic and broccoli frittata yesterday morning...


I got to enjoy some of the leftovers that night with my dinner since that boring frozen chicken burger was so disappointing...


...and again this morning along with 2 small peaches and half an avocado...


Thank goodness for leftovers...especially on rushed mornings like today.

Lunch today was pretty darn yummy too...


Spinach, avocado, hard-boiled egg, tomato, leftover turkey burger, and mustard vinaigrette.  

Enough food pictures...oh wait, one more...check out these beets I have prepped and ready for roasting along with a chicken tonight...


YUM!  

With the way they stain the cutting board, it's no wonder everything else gets "stained" as it makes its way through you.  Gross, but true!


Today's day 11 of my Whole30 experiment and I've gotta admit I'm feeling good.  I don't really have any cravings, I've cut back almost completely on my snacking, and when I do, I just have some nuts or olives...a vast improvement from the snacks I used to grab.  I'm sleeping really well and waking up early with energy.  My workouts are still a little sluggish but even that is improving.  People have mentioned that I look more "defined"...I'm not sure I see it but I'll take the compliment.  My stomach has never felt better.  I can definitely see this way of eating as something that could be sustainable with the occasional glass of wine or slice of pizza here and there.  

Even though I've been a little sluggish in the workout department, I did get in a decent lower body workout yesterday...


I did 3 sets of 10 for each exercise and followed it up with 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.  Today is a rest day from the weight room.  That soggy run in the rain was good enough for me.  

I'm proud to say I stayed on track with my Bible Study this week too.  1 week down and 7 to go in the study.  It takes 3 weeks to form a habit right?  I'm hoping one forms in the process. 

Painting, eating, visiting ducks, working out, reading and sleeping...that's about as good as it gets right??  Throw in some, I mean TONS, of rain and a DELICIOUS produce delivery yesterday and I'd say we did a pretty good job of weathering the storm.  Off to fold some laundry and then try and finish my book...


So far, I'm really liking the way things are working out for these characters.  Hope I like the ending too...











No comments:

Post a Comment