Search This Blog

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Saturday...

Last night turned out to be a pretty mellow evening... Now that we've hit today, I'm thinking it was the calm before the storm.  Speaking of storms, I cooked up a storm, which included two chickens, here's one...


It's so nice to have protein ready to grab from the fridge and lately we've been enjoying the ease of just roasting the whole bird.  It's a hit with everyone.

While everything was finishing up in the oven, we entertained ourselves by decorating the fort...


Last night I enjoyed some of that chicken along with some spinach topped with beets and half an avocado along with some grapes...


We wound down with some playtime and a little Curious George video before calling it an early night.  No complaints here.

I was up by 5 this morning...can't seem to sleep in these days...and wake up HUNGRY.  Rather than wait to eat this morning, I went ahead and grabbed a banana and some almond butter.  5 am is just too darn early for a full breakfast.  Hope I'm not breaking any Whole30 rules...

I took advantage of the extra time to myself and finally finished my book...


...which ended up being pretty darn good by the way, while I drank some coffee with coconut milk.  Now I have to decide what to read next...good thing our book club meets Monday and can help me with that problem.  Let me know if you're interested in joining and want more details.

This has not been the best day.  Usually when I sit down and process it, however, I realize things aren't SOOOO bad.  I'm hoping that works for me today.  Some really great things happened...

...like Colton wanted pancakes and helped me make these lovely things that I'm not allowed to eat...


...I was actually surprised that they didn't tempt me too badly.  We made extra to stock the freezer for easy breakfasts for the boys this week.  

I ate some eggs scrambled with sauteed zucchini and spinach, some guac, and some raspberries...


Next time I think I need to drain the zucchini before adding the eggs.  My eggs were pretty sloppy and some of the worst I've had lately.  Bummer!  You know me, I ate them anyways....

We did get to chat with Mickey, which is ALWAYS a wonderful thing.  I had planned on just skipping my run but with the boys already starting to climb the walls, I decided to get in a quick run in the hopes that the fresh air and exercise would help me handle their rambunctiousness.  As I was loading up the boys, I realized that my tires were getting pretty darn low so we stopped for some air at the gas station.  What a difference that makes!!!  No wonder I've been feeling so sluggish lately.  3 miles...nothing crazy...but it felt good to move...pushing fully inflated tires to boot.  


I tried to rush us along to get out the door and off to Lowe's for their kids' building project but maybe I rushed us too much.  I didn't get much cooperation from the boys but figured once we got there, things would be better.  We arrived in happy moods, ready to see some friend and build, but got a little carried away after a while...


20 minutes and one busted thumb later (at least it was mine), we loaded up the car with these lovely monsters...


It was a cute little project.  Mommy needs to do a better job of following directions...there are definitely some mistakes in their assembly.  Woops!  Good thing the boys don't know the difference yet.

After that, we made a quick stop by BJs for some sweet potatoes and onions (they're SUPER cheap there) and then stopped at the mall to snag some $5 running shorts from Old Navy.  Since I practically live in workout clothes, it was hard to pass up the deal.  It was raining as we pulled into the parking lot and started storming just after we got inside, so we ended up in the mall's play area for about an hour waiting out the storm.  

I need to work on my action photo skills...those boys never sit still.  They had a ball and needed to get some of their energy out.  It was just what the doctor ordered for them...maybe I wasn't giving them the downtime they needed??!!    

The rain finally let up and we headed home for lunch...


Even my photos are terrible today...spinach topped with leftover beets, half an avocado, roasted chicken and some mustard vinaigrette.  I had some raspberries and a couple of cashews too.     

These gifts were a welcome surprise when we got home ...


Aunt Abigail sure loves her nephews.  We're all ready for our trip now.  The boys spent some time testing them out...


...I asked them what they're going to put in them and they told me they needed snacks.  They love their snacks!  


With all the rain we've been having, I'm wasn't surprised that Mango finally took me up on the offer to come inside...


...even getting scratched by him didn't scare Colton off.  He kept coming back for more...I finally let poor Mango back outside....I bet it will be a while before he decides to risk a trip inside again.  Those boys sure do love him.  I'm not sure the feeling is mutual.

Lesson of the day...sometimes all the boys want to do is hang around the house and it's ok to not be on the go all the time.  We all just end up frustrated and disappointed.  Gotta bump and roll, BREATHE,  and leave lots of extra time to get things done...after all, it's summer and the livin's supposed to be easy, right??

Time to try my hand at homemade paleo once again...last time was an epic fail and I'm hoping for better results this time.  Wish me luck!













No comments:

Post a Comment