Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Happenings

First of all, that movie I watched yesterday...


...holy cow!  Great movie...not recommended if you're a nervous flyer.  Once again, Denzel Washington does a fabulous job.  I told Mickey that since I'm completely out of the loop with movies, I make my selections strictly based on the cast.  This one definitely did not disappoint.  I'm hoping my plan continues to work.

We had a very yummy comfort-food-esque dinner last night...

Roast chicken, leftover roasted cauliflower, and a sweet potato casserole that was divine!  I made it by combining the following with my immersion blender:
  • 1 large baked sweet potato, skin removed
  • 2 small overripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
I poured it all into a baking dish and topped it with ground almonds tossed with coconut oil and lots of cinnamon.  


It's Thanksgiving-worthy, incredibly easy, healthy, whole30 compliant, and toddler approved...I'd call that a winner.  We've got lots of leftovers and I can't wait to dig into them again tonight.

We spent the rest of our evening taking a walk and playing with the massive amount of play-doh I made...


This morning I was up early enough before the boys to get started on my bible study that kicked off today...


...of course coffee with coconut milk was a necessity.  It's not too late to join Good Morning Girl's book study of Anything by Jennie Allen.  Let me know if you join so we can encourage each other.  I've started and quit several of their other studies before, for no good reason, but I'm hoping the book study aspect of this one will keep me going.  So far the first chapter is great.  Here's to sticking with it the entire 8 weeks. 

I was pretty darn hungry once I finished up and made myself a big breakfast to satisfy my hunger pangs as I kicked off day 7 of my Whole30 experiment...


Eggs cooked with coconut oil, steamed kale, 1/4 avocado, and some blueberries.  Delish!

Our first outing on the agenda today was a trip to the gym.  Apparently it was every other mom in town's plan so when we arrived the child watch was full...GRRR!  Thankfully we ran into a friend and the chitchat helped pass the time until there was space for our kids to join the fun.  That only left me with 30 minutes to work out but I took it and made the most of it.  I cranked out 20 minutes of upper body exercises, resting as little as possible, followed by 10 minutes of sprint work on the elliptical.  My upper body workout looked like this...


We then high-tailed it to the library for story time.  I finally followed the whole30 rules and had my protein ready to go in a cooler after my workout.  We all snacked on some chicken before heading in for some fun.  I'm hoping my recovery is better as a result of my excellent planning :-)

The boys started off a little bit reserved at story time...


How cute are they holding hands??

They finally warmed up and  had a great time... 

Colton wanted his picture with the sea lion.  Can you see how they partnered up all the twin animals :-) I had nothing to do with it either...love them!

While we were there, we also got our stuff to get started on the summer reading program.  I'm so glad it's available to kids from birth through teenagers.  Barnes and Noble should follow suit :-)  I'm just sayin... :-)

I was dying of thirst when we left the library and have a Starbucks gift card from a wonderful friend burning a big hole in my pocket so I swung through for an unsweetened passion iced tea...it was DELICIOUS!  I need to get a box of those tea bags and make my own.


The boys wanted to play outside for a bit when we got home so I let them play and squeezed in a little bit more of a workout, since I was still sweaty anyways.  Here's what it looked like...


The boys even joined me for some of it.  It's the perfect get-it-done-at-home-while-your-kids-are-playing-workout.  After that, it was time for lunch...


Mixed greens topped with tomato, 1/4 an avocado, lots of roasted chicken, and homemade dressing that resulted from my trying to make homemade whole30 approved mayo yesterday.  It was an epic fail and you know I hate waste, especially when it includes a cup of olive oil, so I added some rice vinegar and dijon mustard to the mix and it made a lovely salad dressing if I do say so myself.   

I managed to read for about 20 minutes outside by the pool once the boys were down for their nap before the rain started up.  Oh well, 20 minutes is better than 0 minutes.  I've got some thing I need to take care of anyways.  

Hope your week is off to a lovely start...









No comments:

Post a Comment