Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Eatin', Learnin', Playin', and Relaxin'

After our busy morning yesterday, we had a pretty mellow evening at home.  We rearranged the train table and the boys went to town...


It's crazy how just a few little tweaks seem to peak their interest and it's like everything is brand new again.  It's fun to watch their excitement.  While they played, I was able to make dinner, trying out some new recipes...


No Fuss Salmon Cakes from the It Starts With Food book, roasted cauliflower and an avocado and jalepeno dipping sauce, slightly adapted from the one in the book as well.  YUM!  The boys surprised me and ate some of the salmon cakes.  I love when that happens.  

We cuddled on the couch, watching some Max and Ruby for a bit before bedtime and I called it a day as soon as the boys were in bed.  Early to bed means early to rise for me and I was up and at em at 5 this morning. The nice thing about getting up that early is I have plenty of time to lounge around in bed reading and drinking coffee before the boys get up.  I always say I'm going to make it a habit but it never sticks, so I've decided to just seize the moments when they happen.

Getting up that early also means my stomach starts grumbling earlier than usual.  To quiet the beast, I gobbled up this lovely breakfast to kick off day 6 of my whole30 experiment...



Eggs cooked with coconut oil, sauteed bok choy (it's finally gone :-)), and a tomato with a splash of balsamic.  I also enjoyed some raspberries while I was cooking.

One thing I've learned so far from this experience is that there's just something so much more satisfying about eating my meals off a plate while seated at the table.  I was getting into a bad habit of just eating bits and pieces here and there throughout the day, snacking on the boys leftovers, etc. which was leaving me hungry all of the time and never satisfied.  Turns out, the simple ritual of sitting down to a proper meal is very important to my satisfaction.  I'm going to make every effort to make it a habit...it's good for family life as well.  Bonus!

We actually made it on time to church this morning.  I think that's the first time that's happened since October.  Guess that getting up early really paid off.  Our pastor started a new series call What You Don't Know this week and I was hooked from the introduction when he said "half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at."  As  self-proclaimed lifelong learner, it was right up my alley.  He pointed out that if we don't know we need to know something, we don't look for answers and we never improve.  Some of the reasons we don't know things are...
  • we make ourselves unteachable
  • we need a fresh perspective
  • pride gets in the way
  • we listen reactively rather than proactively
  • we don't give others permission to speak the truth to us
He challenged us to be open to learning at every opportunity and reminded us that experience is NOT always the best teacher.  Also, he pointed out that our job is just to follow God and he's the one that takes care of cleaning us up.  Some people get so caught up on rules and earning salvation that they lose sight of the big picture.  We don't know it all, no one does, no one but God ever will, and what a relief it is that none of us has to carry the burden of taking care of it all since we have a God who takes care of it for us...but it doesn't give us an excuse to turn a blind eye or be ignorant either.

He left us with the following questions to consider this week... First, what is is like to be on the other side of me?/ What is it like to live with me?  And Second,  God, how have you uniquely designed me?

I'm looking forward to what he has in store for us next week with this series.  It was very interesting.

While I was in church, the boys learned about creation in Sunday School.  Apparently this is the heavens and the earth...


Love them!

We swung by the store on the way home for some necessities...chicken, avocados, pirates booty and juice...before heading home to enjoy the pool.  


Thank goodness the boys are getting more comfortable in the pool again.  They had a blast using their bulldozer to scoop and dump the water.   


The boys also had fun when it started raining.  Since there was no lightning or thunder, we played in the rain and loved every minute of it.  When they got tired of the pool, they hit the pavement on their bikes.  They're starting to get the hang of the pedals finally...


We'll be ready for the sidewalk (or a vacant parking lot) in no time.  The boys are about to discover a whole new world.  

After a few hours outside, our stomachs were really grumbling so we called it quits and came in for lunch...


It doesn't look like much but it sure was yummy...leftover salmon cakes on top of mixed greens, topped with avocado and jalepeno sauce and a tomato.  I've also snacked on some cashews today...I've been extra hungry today, which is interesting since it's a rest day, but I've also been awake since 5 so that might have something to do with it...I'm making a note of it could also be that I didn't eat enough protein with my meals...I'm still trying to figure out the perfect balance.  I've still got lots to learn...

I'm off to enjoy the rest of my rest day by getting a head start on this movie so it doesn't keep me up too late tonight...


I picked this one up for free at Redbox using the code dvdonme.  Try it and see if it works for you...hard to beat free entertainment.  







No comments:

Post a Comment