Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013

Daily Grind

Hey moms, and dads too, remember when we used to be SOOO glad it was Friday because we got to get a break from the daily grind for a couple of days?  There are times when I miss those days...and then I have to remind myself of how much I love my kids and my life and who needs a break anyways?  Right?  Haha!  One of these days I'll know the meaning of a weekend break again...I hope!  But for now, we keep on keeping on.  Enough complaining!!  

Check out how our Mother's Day cards turned out!!  Don't worry, the grandmas don't really read my blog :-)  The boys had fun letting me trace their hands and enjoyed putting the stickers on the cards.  Feel free to steal our idea, which we stole from Pinterest.  I have a feeling these will be adorning some refrigerators very soon.  


Yesterday was produce day and the day kind of got away from me.  We kicked off our morning with a chat with Mickey before heading to the gym for a little sweat session.  I did the following legs workout...


I finished it up with 50 kettlebell swings and a little run on the treadmill.  It was raining outside and I had fallen off the running wagon for a bit and didn't want to miss another run so I made do with the dreaded treadmill...I have a feeling I'll be visiting that little machine more often than I'd care to admit as the summer heat and storms come to south Florida for the next few months.  Worse things have happened.  I need to remember my headphones so I can at least let the TV distract me from the monotony of it.     Just as I was hopping off, it started POURING so I hopped onto the elliptical for a couple of miles while I waited out the storm.  At least I can read on that machine.  

Check out the gorgeous asparagus I got to sort with yesterday's shares...YUM!


Speaking of organics, I came across the new list of the dirty dozen and clean 15 foods at this site...

2013 Dirty Dozen List
The fruits and vegetables that rank the highest in pesticide load are known as the Dirty Dozen, and the EWG advises that if you can’t afford to buy all organic produce, you should at least buy organic versions of these 12 items. There are also two extra Dirty Dozen Plus vegetables on the list. The explanation for those is below.
  1. Apples
  2. Strawberries
  3. Grapes
  4. Celery
  5. Peaches
  6. Spinach
  7. Sweet bell peppers
  8. Nectarines
  9. Cucumbers
  10. Potatoes
  11. Cherry tomatoes
  12. Hot peppers
 
2013 Clean 15 list
The produce that ends up on the bottom of the list, those with the least amount of pesticide contamination are known as the Clean 15. If you can’t afford to buy organic, but you want to be exposed as little as possible to pesticides, these 15 fruits and vegetables should make up a good amount of what you eat.
  1. Mushrooms
  2. Sweet potatoes
  3. Cantaloupe
  4. Grapefruit
  5. Kiwi
  6. Eggplant
  7. Asparagus
  8. Mangoes
  9. Papayas
  10. Sweet peas – frozen
  11. Cabbage
  12. Avocados
  13. Pineapple
  14. Onions
  15. Corn
The interesting thing is, they don't mention that non-organic "cleaner" foods can still contain GMOs.  I'll stick with organic as much as I possibly can because those darn GMOs scare me.  YIKES!  It's good to know anything that is certified organic must also be non-GMO.  Thank goodness for Annie's Organic Buying Club.

Once we were all finished up with produce, we jetted off to make it to the bank before they closed and then swung by Petco to get more food for Mango.  No visit to Petco is complete without stopping to see the rodents.  I must say, the mice were actually kind of cute yesterday...



I keep telling the boys it's like a zoo there.  Hopefully they don't figure out those things are able to be taken into your home for a LOOOOONG time, at least long enough for me to brainwash them into thinking they're all gross, especially the Ferrets.  YUCK!
 

They could have watched those mice all day but all I could think about was getting home to dig into this bad boy...a healthified version of Eggplant Parm.  I baked the eggplant, used fat free ricotta and minimal mozzarella cheese.  I also tossed some spinach into the mix.  I'll admit it wasn't as mouthwatering as the real deal but it was still quite yummy, and much healthier.  The boys were only interested in the cheese and picked out every piece of eggplant...silly boys!   I put the leftovers in the freezer to avoid Eggplant Parm overload...I hate that aspect of large dishes since sometimes one serving is all I really wanted.  I'm sure it will sound good again sometime in the future and then all I'll have to do it throw it in the oven to reheat it.  Easy-peasy!


After dinner, we planted some seeds from a kit the boys got for their birthday.  They had fun shoving the seeds into the soil.  I'm curious to see what they'll think when the plants (hopefully) sprout.

Mason 

Colton

It was a fun night, but things took a turn for the worse around 2 am when we all ended up in my bed for the rest of the night.  At least two-thirds of us got some sleep...


I gave up around 6:00 and made some coffee and since it was relatively cool outside this morning, I decided to hit the road running with the boys nice and early.  I was pretty sluggish but at least I got some fresh air and exercise.   

I tried out this iced latte idea from my sister when I returned home from my run...


It's just frozen coffee ice cubes topped off with almond milk.  As the coffee melts, it makes a lovely latte.  Next time I won't use an insulated cup so the ice cubes melt a little more quickly into the milk.  It was tasty and refreshing alongside my big bowl of strawberry covered oats.  We polished off the entire carton this morning...


With full bellies, we ventured off to target for our weekly snack stock-up.  Pirate's booty is on clearance for some reason...score!


We also got a couple of dvds that were on sale for only $4.  After yesterday's rainy day, I figured it wasn't a bad idea to have some new dvds on hand for when we need some quiet time on a rainy day since our attention span for crafts and games is only so long...



Our next stop was the library for some fun in the A/C.  Colton took a liking to the giant elmo doll they have there...
 

He was very proud of himself for sharing with the other kids that were there too but then would pounce  on it again as soon as they put it down.  They also had fun with the puzzles...


We're all soaking up some rest now before tackling the afternoon.  I'm not sure what we'll end up doing but I'm figuring a stop by Starbucks for a half-priced frappuccino will definitely be in order...


 That's my kind of happy hour these days...an afternoon pick-me-up!  Can't wait!!  Maybe I can talk the boys into a little stop by the gym for a quick upper body workout, tabata-style perhaps.  I've been jonesin' for that tabata burn.  If not today, then it will definitely happen tomorrow.  Happy weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment