Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

Loving Our Low-Key Days

I've been LOVING this week and our lack of things on the calendar.  Don't get me wrong, I love all of the fun things we get to do, but it's nice to slow down once in a while too...we've been able to talk to Mickey a whole lot more too which always puts a little pep in my step.  It's making me look forward to summer big time...and I'm not even teaching any more.  

Yesterday we had the whole morning to ourselves since the produce wasn't due to show up til early afternoon.  We decided to take care of some errands before parking it at home for the rest of the day.  Our first stop was Target...


On our way to the checkout line, we took some time to check out the vacuums.  The boys sure do love their vacuums...except for the one at their play group.  I don't know what's up with that...

I've been doing pretty good with impulse control lately when we go shopping but we couldn't resist these cool Thomas hats we found while doing our typical stroll through the clearance racks...


They're practically a necessity since we love trains and summer has officially shown up in Florida...hello heat, humidity, and afternoon storms.

They've been wearing them nonstop since the store.  I especially liked Mason's style this morning...


Anyways, back to yesterday...after Target, we hit up the gym.  I got in an excellent upper-body workout and knocked out 20 minutes on the elliptical before calling it a day to head home and do my produce thing.  Before the delivery truck arrived, I had fun to play around with a friend who wanted to check out my juicer.  We made the best juice I've had so far by combining...
  • 1 whole beet
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 large granny smith apple
  • 2 big handful spinach
  • 1 big handful red leaf lettuce
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 orange
It was DELICIOUS!   You better believe I'll be making a repeat of that recipe today and I can't wait.

With produce all picked up, naps over, and snacks in our belly, we headed out for our evening walk and made a stop by a friend's house to see Jake and Charley...the dogs the boys ALWAYS ask to go see.  Funny thing is, when we got there, all they did was tell the dogs "go away dogs!"  They like the idea of dogs but don't really love them up close...I think they get a little of that from me...woops!  We did have fun helping to take the dogs for a walk though.  Maybe we should do that more often...

After a bit of a rough night that ended up with this guy taking up most of my king-sized bed...

(silly Colton)

...and ending up with some SERIOUS bed head...

(at least one of us slept well)

...this morning was another pretty mellow one.  The boys tried out their "big boy pants" and did "work" with my salad spinner, their new favorite toy...


...while I took care of some chores around the house, including a phone call to the dr's office to follow up on my blood work.  Turns out my iron is TOO HIGH.  Talk about some irony!  My boys have super low iron and I've been very intentional about making sure they eat iron rich foods and it seems the combination of that with my prenatal vitamin I take each day (which I didn't realize contains iron) has put my levels SUPER high.  Hopefully stopping the vitamin will take care of the problem and I'll be back to normal when they retest it in 6 weeks.  Anyone else dealt with high iron??  If so, what helped?  I'm tempted to go give blood.  I've read calcium helps block absorption as does tea.  I'll be loading up on both of those things.  

It was nice to figure out I'm not crazy and something really is up with my body.  Hope it will all clear up soon.  My poor body...I've put it through the wringer the last couple of years!

With vacuuming and laundry done, we were ready for a break and headed off to the gym.  I completed a very challenging, yet very fun lower body workout that had my legs burning and my heart pumping.  I loved it and am definitely adding it to my regular rotation.  Jump lunges are NO joke!


I was able to complete 5 rounds in the 30 minutes and added an additional 50 kettlebell swings at the end for good measure.  I also finally finished my book 


on the elliptical after completing my leg circuit.  I highly recommend it.  She's a fantastic author.  Now I'm onto her other novel...


 ...so far so good.  


The rest of our day is dedicated to family time, which will like include the boys typical favorite activities...trains, puzzles, books, and maybe some Max and Ruby...


...since it's too wet to play outside and it is Friday after all.  A little tv time once in a while never hurt anyone did it?  I might indulge in some myself after the boys go to bed tonight.  



No comments:

Post a Comment