1. Eat every 2-4 hours. This is good for stimulating metabolism, balancing blood sugar, and maintaining lean muscle mass.
2. Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity. I love that they refer to them as feeding opportunities rather than meals. How clever! Men should eat 2 portions per meal, and women should eat one portion per meal or feeding opportunity :-) My current favorites are brown rice protein powder, fish, eggs, tofu, and beans. I'm learning to love textured vegetable protein as well.
3. Eat vegetables with every feeding opportunity. This means 2 servings of produce at each meal. 1 medium fruit, 1/2 cup raw chopped fruits or vegetables, or 1 cup leafy vegetables equals one serving. Load up on that produce!
4. Eat "other" (i.e. starchy, sugary carbs) ONLY after exercise. You have to EARN your high-carb meals. Try for whole grains 1-2 hours after exercise. I love this idea of earning your splurges. "Yes, I can have that slice of pumpkin pie, right after I finish my workout."
5. Eat HEALTHY fats daily. My favorites are avocados, olive oil, nuts and nut butters...oh and coconut oil too.
I think if I can keep these goals in mind, I will get through the holidays feeling much healthier and much better about myself.
******As always, speak to a doctor or health care worker to get a professional opinion as well before making any changes to your nutritional plans.