Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Five Nutrient Habits

source
I've been studying up on my fitness nutrition and love the five nutrition habits I learned about today.  Something to keep in mind as we get into the holiday season...  I am by no means certified yet but here are some nuggets of wisdom I have gleaned from my studies so far...

1.  Eat every 2-4 hours.  This is good for stimulating metabolism, balancing blood sugar, and maintaining lean muscle mass.

2.  Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.  I love that they refer to them as feeding opportunities rather than meals.  How clever!   Men should eat 2 portions per meal, and women should eat one portion per meal or feeding opportunity :-)  My current favorites are brown rice protein powder, fish, eggs, tofu, and beans.  I'm learning to love textured vegetable protein as well.

3.  Eat vegetables with every feeding opportunity.  This means 2 servings of produce at each meal.  1 medium fruit, 1/2 cup raw chopped fruits or vegetables, or 1 cup leafy vegetables equals one serving.  Load up on that produce!

4.  Eat "other" (i.e. starchy, sugary carbs) ONLY after exercise.  You have to EARN your high-carb meals.  Try for whole grains 1-2 hours after exercise.  I love this idea of earning your splurges.  "Yes, I can have that slice of pumpkin pie, right after I finish my workout."

5.  Eat HEALTHY fats daily.  My favorites are avocados, olive oil, nuts and nut butters...oh and coconut oil too.

I think if I can keep these goals in mind, I will get through the holidays feeling much healthier and much better about myself.

******As always, speak to a doctor or health care worker to get a professional opinion as well before making any changes to your nutritional plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment