Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Case of the Sundays

I don't know what it is about today, but I'm in a funk.  In an attempt to snap out of it, I decided to try out a new recipe, with hopes of successfully tweaking it to make it more substantial, yet still vegan.  My attempts turned out to be delicious.  I give you...

"Creamy" Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup 



Roasted Eggplant Soup
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Serves 4


1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium eggplant, halved lengthwise (I used 3 smaller ones)
1 medium red onion, halved
6 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon thyme 
2 cups vegetable broth
1 container firm lite tofu

Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange tomatoes, eggplant, onion and garlic on a baking sheet.  Spray vegetables with oil then roast them for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and scoop eggplant from skin into a soup pot. Add the rest of the vegetables, the thyme and the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until onion is very tender. Cool slightly.  Add tofu, crumbling it as you incorporate it into the other soup ingredients.  Carefully, puree soup using an immersion blender until it is as smooth as you’d like it to be.  Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!


I can't say it got me out of my funk, but it did distract me for a while.  And now my belly is full too.  Bonus!

If you try it, let me know what you think.  I'm planning to add red pepper to my next bowl, like Smitten Kitchen suggested on her blog.

Once the boys wake up from their nap, I'm hoping to get outside with them to soak up some sunshine.  Hope it's the magical cure for my mopiness....is that even a word?  Hope you are having a fabulous Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment