Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Last Long Run, Some Outdoor Fun, and A Yummy Vegan Lunch

I didn't get to bed quite as early as I had hoped to last night but that didn't keep me from getting a good night's sleep and enough energy to power through the last long run of my half marathon training plan.  My 12 mile run is in the books and I feel like I can safely say I am ready for the race in 2 weeks.  This morning's conditions were all the encouragement I needed.  If I can run 12 miles pushing 100 pounds on a morning with a severe wind advisory , I feel confident I can run 13 miles stroller-free, whatever the conditions might be.  Bring it on!

This morning's run was slower than usual, thanks to the wind...



The boys were quite good for me in the stroller this morning.  I know 2 hours in a stroller could be trying for anyone but enjoy watching the trucks and dogs we see on our journey.  Some snacks help keep them entertained as well.  Today they tried out this new bread...


...along with some string cheese.  They're jumping on the pumpkin band wagon along with all of us.  They gave it two thumbs up.  I'm thinking about whipping up some french toast with it.  Wonder how I can make a vegan french toast..???

Today I've done quite well with my vegan efforts.  I tried out a sweet potato pancake recipe this morning after my long run.  It was inspired by this recipe but I tweaked it to make it vegan, substituting extra flax (2 tablespoons instead of 1/2) for the egg whites along with a splash of almond milk (maybe 1/8 cup?).  I also added some applesauce (probably a 1/4 cup) and a half scoop of brown rice protein powder.  They ended up tasting ALOT like pumpkin pie and were the perfect post-run meal.  I inhaled them!


Once breakfast was cleaned up, we headed outside to enjoy this fall-like weather we're having, fall-like for Florida at least.  I'm pretty sure it's still in the 80s today...


The boys had a blast and I had fun watching them.  They're really making progress on their jumping.



When it was time to refuel, we headed in for some pomegranate seeds and carrots with hummus.  YUM!  And all organic too.  Double yum!



They couldn't eat them fast enough.  So cute!

While they snacked, I threw together a yummy vegan lunch...


...I'll definitely be having another bowl of this today.  Thank goodness I made a big bowl of it.  Into the mix went:
  • 1 cup quinoa, cooked
  • 1 cup brown rice, cooked
  • 1 can black beans, rinced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 bunch scallions, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped and seeded
  • 1 small avocado, diced
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
I topped it all with a dressing made with:
  • 1 T dijon
  • juice from 1 lemon juice
  • 1 T cumin
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • splash of olive oil
I highly recommend you try it out!  It's incredibly satisfying and insanely delicous.  Let me know what you think if you try it out.

While the boys keep napping, I'm hoping to do some yoga to stretch out these tired legs and also hoping to get some reading done.  Here's to hoping the boys take a long nap.  

I'm hoping I can stay up late enough to watch this tonight too...


I'm in the mood to laugh.  Happy Saturday everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment