Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2012

Soup's On!

We had a great time on our date night last night.  Being the coupon queen that I try to be, I convinced my husband to go to Tony Roma's to use our Buy One, Get One Free Coupon.  I must say, my grilled salmon was some of the best I've had and the mashed sweet potatoes were quite tasty.  And since mine was the cheaper entree, it was free to boot!  If only we had sat in the bar to get the happy hour drink specials...next time!

We actually got dressed up for our date.  Check us out:


We weren't quite ready to call it a night after dinner so we stopped in Ian's Tropical Grill for a cocktail on our way home.  It's a cozy place to have a drink...if you have a coupon, which we did!

Today's a rest day on my half-marathon training schedule, so you'd think I would have slept in, but I was up and at 'em just after 5 am thanks to my new sleep pattern.  At least I got to read in bed for a bit before tackling the day.  

I also had time to play around with my blog a bit, as you probably noticed.  I've been thinking about changing the title for a while since my topics include way more than fitness and decided the best way to describe it was with the small tweak to the title.  What do you think?

Today's mission was to whip up a couple of soups for some go-to lunches using some of my organic produce.  I chose two different vegan recipes which turned out quite well.  I found the first recipe at Vegangela.com Her recipe for broccoli potato soup is just as satisfying as a bowl of broccoli cheese soup but much healthier.  You can find her recipe here.  



I also made a sweet potato and carrot soup.

Can you tell I've been playing around on picmonkey.com?  I'm not anywhere as gifted as my husband is when it comes to graphic design, but I can see why he loves his job so much.  It's fun!

The recipe is prettier than the soup but I promise it's delicious.  



After the soups were done, it was finally not too early to hit up BJs for some spinach, fish, mac n cheese and other necessities.  I can get carried away with the good deals there... like 12 boxes of organic mac n cheese for $7 with my coupons.  The boys will think they're in heaven with all the mac n cheese eating that is to come.  

We got home in time for a quick workout with my one and only client and then it was time for naptime for the boys and a little upper body workout for this mommy.  In my mind, rest days are for the legs when you're training for a half marathon and my arms had been neglected this week.  

I came up with the following workout and it felt great to pump some iron after almost a week off.


I used 20 pound dumbbells for the chest and back exercises and 15 pound dumbbells for the arms.  I ended up doing the last two rounds completely with the 20 pound dumbbells though since I was feeling pretty motivated.  

After my workout I enjoyed a yummy protein smoothie made by combining: 
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 scoop SunWarrior vanilla brown rice protein powder
  • 1 cup ice cubes
  • 1 tsp honey
  • Cinnamon, to taste
It was DIVINE--like pumpkin pie in a cup, and healthy to boot.



I'm meeting some girls tonight for a quick cocktail then hoping to spend the rest of my night on the couch.  I still haven't finished watching The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so maybe I'll try to stay awake for the end.  I'm hoping to call it an early night though because tomorrow's scheduled run is 10 miles--double digits finally.  I'm a bit nervous as my last couple of long runs have been a bit of a struggle.  My plan is to get out as early as possible to beat the heat and to take things slow.  Hope it works!


I'm off to do some yoga with Fit2B Studio.  Enjoy the rest of your Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment