Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Full Body Pyramid Dumbbell Workout

This week I've gotten in some great workouts, including today's (Friday) 5 mile stroller-free run which I finished in less than 41 minutes.  Talk about a nice way to start the day!  To top it all off my husband had breakfast waiting for me when I got back and he'd filled up the boys as well.  Score!

I was glad this run felt easier than Sunday's 7 mile easy run.  (It didn't feel as easy as I hoped it would.)  The heat really got to me that day and I struggled pushing the stroller over the bridges.  I'm still glad I did it though. 

My favorite workout this week took place on Monday and I've been meaning to let you in on this great workout ever since, but as you all know...life gets in the way sometimes.  Anyways, I came up with a new pyramid workout which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I completed the lower body portion as well as the back and chest exercises using 20 pound dumbbells.  I used 15 pounders for the biceps, triceps and shoulders.  Feel the burn!

Full Body Pyramid Dumbbell Workout
Complete 6 sets of the circuit, using the following number of reps for each exercise:
  • Set 1: 25 reps
  • Set 2: 20 reps
  • Set 3: 15 reps
  • Set 4: 10 reps
  • Set 5: 5 reps (Don't let this set fool you.  It's kind of a rest period for the next set.)
  • Set 6: 25 reps (KILLER!)
Complete the following exercises:
  • Overhead press (Shoulders)
  • Hammer curls  (Biceps)
  • Triceps kickbacks (Triceps :-) )
  • Dumbbell bench press (Chest)
  • Bent over rows (Back)
  • Squats (Glutes and Quads)
  • Deadlifts (Glutes and Hamstrings)
  • Lunges (Quads)
  • Plie Squat Pulses (Inner thighs - I used one 20 lb dumbbell held in between my legs for these)
You'll notice the reps add up to 100.  Nice, huh?  I rested for a minute or so after each set but didn't rest in between exercises. Keep that navel pulled in to the spine on every rep and you'll be sure to engage your core as well.   

Another great workout I tried this week came from the Peanut Butter Fingers blog.   It's called the burpee sandwich and it was a great addition to my plyometrics workout on Tuesday.  It looks like this: 
Since I was stuck at home, I jogged in place for 5 minutes before and after the burpee intervals.  I also tacked on one minute of each of the following exercises:
  • Jumping Jacks
  • High Knees
  • Jump Ropes
  • Mountain climbers
  • Butt kicks
  • Heismans
  • Jump squats
  • Up-down planks
  • Switchkicks 
  • Mummy kicks
Wednesday, I got in a great little 3 mile run, some plank work, and did a quickie arm workout.


Thursday, I did some intervals on the elliptical and did my dropset legs workout.  

The plan for Saturday is active REST!!! I earned it.  We're hoping to take the boys on a bike ride and maybe take a walk downtown sometime if the weather cooperates.  Might be more of a pool day if it's too hot.  I'm good with whatever happens.  Hope your weekend is wonderful!






 
 

1 comment: