Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shaking Things Up A Bit

I decided to shake things up this week in regards to my weight training routine.  Instead of following a upper/lower body split to organize my workouts, I'm going to break things up a little differently.  The plan for the week looks like this:

Sunday: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders and Abs
Monday: Hamstrings and Quadriceps
Tuesday:  Chest and Back
Wednesday:  Long Cardio
Thursday:  Butt and Abs
Friday: Plyometrics
Saturday: REST DAY

I got off to a good start with some nice giant sets this afternoon.  I completed each circuit 3 times, doing 15 reps of each exercise, resting only in between each giant set.

GIANT SET #1:
  • Rotating biceps curls
  • Triceps kickbacks
  • Overhead presses
  • Stability ball plank roll-ups
GIANT SET #2:
  • Hammer curls
  • Straight arm triceps pressbacks
  • Lateral raises
  • Stability ball roll-outs
GIANT SET #3:
  • Wide biceps curls
  • Overhead triceps extensions
  • Arnold presses
  • Plank circles on stability ball
GIANT SET #4:
  • Biceps 21s
  • Triceps dips
  • Front dumbbell raises
  • Plank with alternating knee drives
It was a great workout!!  I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's circuits.

I also decided to shake things up with my diet as a kind of "experiment."  I have decided to try being a vegan for a week.  I keep reading about all these people who feel immediately healthier when eliminating animal products and I want to see what all the hype is about.  So far, the only thing I've missed is the milk in my coffee.  Soy milk just doesn't seem to cut it...  If you've found a vegan solution for "cream" in your coffee, I'd love to hear it.  I have tried almond milk in my coffee in the past and it was absolutely repulsive so I'm not about to try that again.  Yuck!

The food I've had today has been yummy.  My morning oatmeal is already vegan but I did add a scoop of brown rice protein to it.  I found the rice protein to be a bit chalkier than whey protein but I think I may be able to tweak it to my liking.  I'm thinking almond milk might up the creaminess factor.  I've also had a TON of veggies, some homemade hummus, and am marinating some tempeh for dinner.  I can't wait to try it.  If it turns out to be as yummy as I hope it will be, I'll be sure to share the recipe.  I haven't felt deprived so far and had plenty of energy to power through my workout.  So far, things are looking good.  I'll keep you posted...




 



No comments:

Post a Comment