Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Leg Day




I always dread leg days as I much prefer working out my arms, but as I'm constantly reminded by all the fitness material I read, the big muscle groups (chest, back, legs, glutes) are the major fat burning muscles and as a result, the ones that give you the most bang for your buck calorie and metabolism-wise, even if they're  not the ones you get to show off in a tank-top.  For some reason I just love working shoulders, biceps, and triceps.  I am working hard at learning to love working the other groups as well and this morning's leg workout was a step in the right direction.  It challenged me but wasn't over-the-top in its difficulty.  It targeted all the muscle groups of the lower body and left me with a good burn and a sense of accomplishment.  I borrowed the workout from another blog where I get lots of good workout ideas and made a couple of adaptations which I'll describe below.  This one is definitely going in the workout binder so I'll remember to do it again. 

 

I couldn't believe how long the 3 minutes of squats felt but the sense of accomplishment I felt afterwards was WELL worth it.  I super-setted the deadlifts and lunges alternating back and forth between the two exercises without resting until I had done 3 sets of each.  When I got to the leg press, I decided to make it a drop-set.  I did 15 reps at 150 lbs, 14 reps at 145 lbs, 13 reps at 140 lbs, 12 reps at 135 lbs, 11 reps at 130 lbs and 10 reps at 120 lbs.  My legs were screaming by the end.  Love when that happens.  I added some core work to the last 2 exercises and did another superset of hamstring ball curls and planks.  I also did a superset of wall sits and leg drops.  I finished out my workout with 3 sets of 20 stability ball roll-outs and 30 minutes on the elliptical.  It was a great start to the day.  What are some of your favorite leg workouts?  I'd love to expand my lower body workout repertoire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment