Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Whole30 - Day 1

This weekend, I spent every free minute reading this book...


I was captivated with the ideas and theories presented in it.  You can read more about it at their website.  I've found lots of great info on their to supplement what's included in the book.  

The book includes a 30 day challenge, called Whole30 where you go 30 days with no grains, no sugar, no alcohol, no legumes, no white potatoes, and no dairy--very similar to the paleo diet, only a bit more strict.  There's no paleo-ified junk food replacements allowed.  It encourages you to stick with 3 big meals a day centered around meat, produce, and fats.  

The ideas that appealed to me were the opportunity to "reset" my body and digestion, a chance to balance out my hormones, the opportunity to get in touch with my hunger signals again rather than my all-day graze-fests, and eliminate the junk from my diet...I was getting a little carried away.  I decided to go "all in" and start the challenge today.  It's only 30 days...I can do this!!  I'm curious to see how my little "experiment" works out. 

Breakfast included 3 eggs scrambled with a giant handful of spinach and half an avocado, diced and topped with hot sauce, of course.  I had half a grapefruit on the side too.  



It was filling and delicious...but I was hungry again by 11.  Hopefully that improves...but in the meantime...I downed lots of water and planned a very big lunch.

For lunch I had a turkey burger, some broccolini sauteed in olive oil, and a tomato, avocado and balsamic salad.  I also ended up eating most of the boys' leftover mango too.


I'm planning to go out to eat for dinner but already have a game plan in mind for the greek restaurant--greek salad, skip the feta, olive oil and vinegar for dressing, topped with a piece of grilled salmon as long as they don't marinade the salmon in anything crazy.  Maybe I'll throw a can of tuna in my purse just in case...haha.  Just kidding!  

Enough food talk.  We've done other fun stuff besides eating today...

We kicked off our morning at Story Time where we were supposed to have a special guest but our firefighter got called into duty so we stuck with Firefighter books instead. We read...


...and...


Both were big hits with the kiddos.  I especially liked Tony Mitton's rhymes and Ant Parker's illustrations in Flashing Fire Engines.

We hit up the gym after Story Time.  I was feeling pretty un-energetic so I took my legs workout over to the elliptical for some circuits.  Usually the speed of them keeps me from feeling too tortured.  I warmed up for a mile before alternation quarter miles on the elliptical with the following legs circuits using dumbbells.  I repeated each circuit 4 times.  

Circuit 1:
Squats - 20
Deadlifts - 20
Lunges - 20

Circuit 2:
Squat with Side Kicks - 10 each
Side to Side lunges - 20
Curtsey lunges - 10 each

I finished up with another mile as my cool down and called it a day.  Hopefully I'm feeling more energetic tomorrow.

We've spent the rest of our day around the house, getting some chores done...while keeping an eye on last night's episode the bachelorette.  The first episode doesn't require your full attention anyways :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment