Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ups and Downs

I don't know what it is lately but it seems that life is just one big emotional roller coaster...both for me and the boys.  We go from having a great time one minute to losing our minds the next.  I'm at a loss for what to blame it on.  It could be the fact that they're two...people don't refer to this stage as the "terrible twos" for no reason.  Or maybe the weather is making us wacky?  Or are the teeth coming in really bothering them...darn 2 year old molars!?  Or do they feel crummy thanks to allergies?  Trying to figure it all out doesn't help me to feel any more sane.

I was complaining to Mickey this morning, since that's what I seem to do these days, and he reminded me of some good advice...when all else fails, give it up to God.  Why is that so darn hard for me to do? Why can't I just trust that he's got things under control??  I guess cause I feel like I don't.  Just trusting God seems to be a difficult thing for me these days...I'm not happy about that, and I'm working to fix it...

Last night, the boys had a lot of fun playing with the golf set from Uncle Aaron...


...I think they have bright futures as caddies since the golf bag is their favorite part of the whole set.  They would drag that thing around all night.  It was all fun and games until they got carried away and didn't want to listen and stay away from the cars in the driveway.  Our evening took a quick nose dive after that.  They pitched fits about everything for the rest of the night...didn't want to eat, didn't want to play, didn't want to take baths, you name it.  They did finally want to cuddle up with me as long as possible to avoid going to bed.  I sure am glad they at least ended the day on a happy note...until the storm started up.  That was a big one last night!  I'm just glad it wasn't as scary here as it was in Oklahoma.  Talk about a reality check of how bad your life really is and how bad things could be...I don't know why I let the little things get to me.  It's just not worth it.  I have to keep reminding myself of that...

This morning started off on the right foot...woke up early, drank coffee before the boys woke up, then hit the road for a run with a friend...


Other than a little humidity, the weather was great and the 6+ miles passed quickly since I had someone to chat with.  Love that!

Blue Door was closed today so I got the week off from Story Time.  We sure did miss seeing all our other buddies this morning though.  We filled our morning with some crabby time at home before we finally hit the jackpot with some playdough fun...




...and chocolate milk, of course.  That kept us busy for at least 45 minutes.  SCORE!!  When we got bored with the dough, we loaded into the car for a trip to the gym.  The boys got to see some friends and I got to get some stress out with a 30 minute, fast-paced upper body workout.  

After the gym, we hit up The Fresh Market for some BOGO chicken and pork chops.  I love their Tuesday specials.  Then, we headed home for lunch and naps...thankfully, they were worn out enough that they didn't put up a fight.  It's now 2 1/2 hours later and they're still sound asleep.  I'm thinking sleep was just what they needed...seems to usually be the case.  

So then...maybe the emotional ups and downs are the result of a growth spurt???!!!  Your guess is as good as mine.  Here's to hoping we have a smooth evening, despite the rain that seems to be headed this way.  If we can't get outside, maybe we'll go crazy and cuddle up on the couch with the boys for a little movie.  It would be a real treat since we never watch TV during the daytime.  

In case our afternoon doesn't go smoothly, or any other situation for that matter,  I have these verses tucked away in my back pocket now to remind me of how I should handle my frustrations...

source


AND...
source
AND...

source
I'm going to keep saying them to myself over and over and over again...hopefully the message will stick.  God is good!  Life is good!  I am blessed!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment