Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Care-Free Morning

We finally had a morning this morning with NO PLANS!  It is so freeing to not have anywhere we have to be.  We enjoyed a lazy morning of the boys playing around the house and me drinking coffee before heading out the door for a run to the gym to do some speed work.  Since I live almost 1 1/2 miles from the gym, it gave me a chance to warm up with the stroller on the way there and then I hopped on the treadmill after dropping the boys at the childcare for seven 1/4-mile speed intervals.  I rotated 1/4 mile almost-sprints (I tried not to overdo it since I was sick a couple of days ago) with 1/10 mile intervals.  My sprints were run at 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, 9.0, and 9.5 mph.  Recoveries were at 6.7 mph.   I have to tell ya, speed work helps the time fly by.  I actually kind of enjoyed the workout today. I ended up racking up 2.4ish miles on the treadmill and about 3 on the road.  I'm satisfied with that!


After I picked up the boys from the childcare, we ran back home by a different route so we could swing by the dollar store  and Dunkin Donuts.  The boys needed some bagels and I had a coupon for buy 6 get 6 free.  Hard to beat!  I "needed" an iced coffee too with the coupon from my birthday that was about the expire.  With coffee in hand, I walked the last 1/2 mile or so home, enjoying the recovery.

We spent the rest of the morning by the pool.  I'd show you some photos but they were skinny-dipping and I don't think they'd like me to much for showing you pictures of them in their birthday suits.  It was so nice to have some quality time with my boys without having to watch the clock.  We're going to schedule in free mornings more often.

While playing by the pool, we enjoyed delicious key lime smoothies which I made by combining the following:

  • 2 containers key lime greek yogurt
  • 2 small bananas
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 scoops SunWarrior vanilla protein powder
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 cup ice cubes
Let me tell you, this was yummy!  I don't have dairy often, but sometimes splurge on good organic yogurts or crumbly cheeses.   I would love to discover some dairy free yogurts, however.  Anyone found any good ones?

Last night, since my book club was cancelled, I spent my evening on the couch watching Water for Elephants.  I had read the book and was curious to see the movie.  As is usually the case, I found the book to be more enjoyable but the movie was quite good as well.  I'd recommend it.


I may or may not have enjoyed some chemically laden microwave popcorn while I watched it.  I really need to take the time to make that treat on the stove.  One day...

I almost forgot...I also started reading R.A. Dickey's book, Wherever I Wind Up this morning.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  My husband and a friend from my book club both gave it rave reviews so I have high hopes.  What an interesting guy!  Doreen, I bet you'd like this true story :-)


My afternoon includes tutoring and hopefully some closet cleaning in between laundry loads.  I keep moving that task from one to-do list to the next.  Gotta do it while the boys are sleeping or they want to "help" and it gets even easier to save for another day.  Love those guys and how they help me with excuses when I want them.  

Make it a great day!    

No comments:

Post a Comment