Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Clubs, Toddlers, Challenges...Oh My!

Last night, I still didn't make the salmon I had planned to make, but I did throw together two very yummy homemade pizzas for my husband and I to enjoy ALONE after the kids went to bed...

Sauteed Beech Mushroom and Onion With Parmesan and Pesto
Roasted Tomato with Mozzarella and Basil
I rounded out my meal with a nice glass of wine.  After my husband was gone most of the weekend and wasn't feeling well on top of it, spending time catching up with him was the perfect ending to my weekend.

Ah, Monday!  Today started the way I like to start my weeks, with an early wake-up call and a good sweat session on the elliptical with my kindle.  After 1 long run, a 5k and a good pounding yesterday, I was due for some steady-state cardio on my favorite machine.  I lasted a good hour on the elliptical thanks to this little number...


I'm embarrassed that it's taking me so long to read but it's REALLY getting good now so I have a feeling I will be finishing up with it soon.  Good thing because my book club starts back up tomorrow and one of my moms groups is doing a book study too.  I always say I love to read.  Now I guess it's time to see how many books I can handle at once. Oh my!  I know A Lineage of Grace is the book my moms group will be reading and everyone who started it says its good.  I'm hoping they're right because this puppy is THICK!
Tomorrow night I'll find out what my book club will be reading.  I have to say our group has picked some really good reads lately.  I hope the trend continues.

With my workout complete, I made it home before the sun was up and also before anyone else in my house was awake which left me time to do some other reading and enjoy my first cup of coffee before "game time."  Once everyone was up and at 'em, I enjoyed a yummy bowl of oatmeal with raspberries, banana, cinnamon, peanut butter, and honey.  It was DELICIOUS!  I forgot how much I love raspberries.  Too bad they're so expensive.  Thanks to my produce club for hooking me up with delicious organic ones.


The boys must have slept really well last night because they were especially silly this morning.  They wanted to wear their bibs, which they never want to wear, while they were playing.  The animal noise of the week is the turtle, which you can see Colton displaying for you in the bottom right corner of the photos.  If you're lucky, maybe he'll share his skills with you the next time you see him.  It really is quite entertaining.



Our other morning activity was giving high fives to Daddy through the window.  His lawn mowing entertained the boys for quite a bit as well.  I hope they're taking notes for the future...


After all our morning excitement, we made it to MOPS and the boys got to play while I got to chat with other moms and also listened to a speaker who made me feel better about taking time for myself.  It can be a tricky balance as a mom and sometime I feel selfish for making sure to fit in my workouts and me time, but I know it makes me a better mom and I feel like I am setting a good example for my kids.  It brought up some interesting chatter as one mom pointed out that sometimes the things that we put some much energy into are not the things that truly are important.  For example, if you asked your kids what they really love about you, would they say that they love that you always clean the house or would they say they love when you spend time with them?  What would you husband say he loves about you?  It's probably not at the top of his list that you're really good at getting all the chores done.  I'm sure he appreciates that, but in the big picture, those chores are not the most important thing.  Just some food for thought...  It's easy to get caught up in the to do list.  You have to look at the big picture.

Found here
For me, that question changes my whole perspective as a wife and a mother when I go about my day to day tasks.  What does it do for you?

I did finally get around to making that salmon dish for my husband and I at lunch today.  It was almost as yummy as I hoped it would be.  I will add some spicy heat to it if I ever make it again.  You know me...I like everything SPICY!  My husband gave it rave reviews.  We're taking advantage of our coupons for free Moes tonight since it's our birthday week.  I have less than 36 hours left in my 20s...We won't talk about how old he'll be the day after I turn 30.

Last but not least, today kicks of the Peak313 challenge which I decided to get in on.  I'm excited to get my faith in on my fitness challenges for the next couple of weeks.  I hope I can create some habits in that area that stick around.  Our church just started a 40 day devotional too.  When it rains, it pours.  I say, "Bring it on!"

I'm off to fold some laundry and tend to my children who are just waking up from their naps.  It's round 2 of "game time" at our household.

Make it a great day!










No comments:

Post a Comment