Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

A Gorgeous Day for a Run and a Little Clearing of the Air

Today started with the longest run of my half marathon training plan so far.  My goal was to take it nice and easy, to enjoy the run, and to finish feeling like I could have kept on going rather than feeling completely exhausted.  I am happy to report I accomplished my goal.  I was supposed to run 8 miles and ended up running 9 just because I felt so good and the boys were having so much fun spotting all the trucks.  How could you not enjoy these gorgeous views?
The sun stayed behind that big cloud for most of the run and it was so nice to not have it blazing on us. Next time I'll take my sunglasses just in case.  My original plan did not include a bridge but I couldn't resist and tackled one after all.  It felt good and the view was worth it.

We had to make a quick trip to Target to sell a high chair to a buyer from Craigslist, and while we were in the parking lot, I asked the boys if they wanted to go in Target to do some shopping.  You should have seen the excitement on their faces when they saw the shopping carts.  I raised them right--love that store!  Today's exciting purchases were birthday cards for my husband and mother-in-law (Mickey turns 41 next week the day after I turn 30), stickers for the boys, and a new wine cube.  With the long run behind me, I can now enjoy a glass or two of wine tonight.  

We return home to do some chores and the boys caught up on the latest news... or at least the news of what trucks are for sale.  They are 100% boy and LOVE trucks.


 They also remembered to "help" with the dishes.  They are really good at remembering to do this everyday.  I don't even need to remind them.  HaHa


Look how proud he is of himself!  Most of the time they climb up there and then say "no, no."  Apparently they're not making the connection that if something is a "no, no" that means DON'T KEEP DOING IT!  This too shall pass.  

On a different not, a friend called me to give me a hard time about yesterday's post and she helped me see that I didn't explain myself very well when I referred to myself as "not anyone special."  She was very upset with me about thinking I was not special.  (Thanks to her for being such a good friend to me!)  It's not that I think I'm not important or valuable, I just know that everything I do, anyone else could do too if they really wanted to or needed to.  I don't have super powers or anything.  There are people who do for more incredible things than me.  Hello heart surgeons!  I am honored to be a role model or inspiration but I don't want anyone to look at the things I do as unachievable.  I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength AND SO CAN YOU!  It just takes lots of focus, determination, and commitment/follow-through and a big dose of knowing God is on your side.  It has taken me a LONG time to acknowledge that last piece of the puzzle.  I definitely have my own share of flaws though too.  I am a work in progress.

But I guess if you're wondering how I do it, this is the I conclusion I came to when talking it over with my friend, and then my husband...

  • I have faith, without God none of this would be possible.  My life is a gift from him and I believe it is my job to use what he has given me to the best of my ability, and I try really hard to do that.  
  • I set goals and focus on achieving them. I write them down.  I tell them to others.  I have a plan for achieving my goals.  This blog is one way I hold myself accountable.
  • I am determined.  I hate failing so I find a way to get the job done.  It's not always easy and I may not always want to do what it takes, but I know that if I put my mind to it, I can get it done.
  • I love the sense of accomplishment.  Knowing the end result usually helps me get started.  I struggle when I don't have a clear picture of what the end result is supposed to be.
  • I try really hard to be positive and see the good in things.  I find that it makes everything much easier.  
  • I laugh A LOT.  I try not to let things get to me. I even laughed when they told me I was having twins.  What else could I do?  
  • I pray.  I wish I could say it's the first thing I do, but usually I have to remind myself.  I'm working on this one.  God gives amazing power!
  • I know most things worth doing aren't easy but the feeling of overcoming the "hard stuff" is so much sweeter.  
  • I keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Each day is a new day and I make up my mind to make it a good day.
Am I saying I never falter?  HECK NO!  I have good days and bad.  I get discouraged sometimes too.  I am human after all.  There's no way I could do any of this without my  husband and my God.  At the end of the day though, I love the feeling of being able to know that tomorrow is a new day, and another opportunity to seize what life throws me, and I tell myself I CAN DO IT!  You can too!

So there you have it.  I hope I cleared the air and I hope you see my life and this blog as motivation and inspiration, not something unachievable.  That is my mission--to motivate and inspire others...and hold myself accountable along the way.

My plan for the rest of the day is to prepare and then deliver meals to two mommies who just had babies.  I can't wait to see their little ones and I hope I can help make their day a little easier.  I know how much I loved it when people brought me dinner right after I had the boys so I'm trying to pay it forward. Afterwards, I hope I can kick my feet up with a glass of wine and eventually sleep as good as these two cuties did last night.



Love them!  Make it a great day!  Do something that makes you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment