Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

In a FUNK and my mission to SHAKE IT!

Ever since I got back from vacation, I've found myself in a funk that I just can't seem to shake. At first, I tried to ignore it with all the usual excuses...it's just quieter around here without the extra people around and constant activities going on, the boys are having a hard time getting back to their routine, I'm just tired, I don't have the extra helpers around that I had while out of town, etc. Well, it's been two weeks now and I realizing there's more to this funk than I originally thought. It's not just the post-vacation blues, especially since said vacation was not the most relaxing of vacations and one I was actually quite happy to return home from. Don't get me wrong, family time is a wonderful thing and I wish I got to see my parents and siblings more, but days in the car and scary plane trips with two very active toddler boys was not my idea of relaxation. I'm not sure when I'll be ready to agree to another "vacation." Haha
But I digress... There's more to this funk and I'm on a mission today to pinpoint the issues and get my life back on track. I don't like mopey me!

One issue I became aware of today is in the area of fitness. I have been feeling a little uninspired in the workout department, partly as a result of going into maintenance mode while out of town. I took advantage of hotel gyms when I could, but my workouts were definitely less than stellar and I lost some momentum towards my fitness goals. My maintenance mode, which was intended to last for 10 days during vacation, turned into the whole month of July. After a month of not doing any intense workouts, I was huffing and puffing trying to get through my INSANITY workout today.  That is NOT typical for me and I definitely going to make some changes in the workout department. Time to get refocused! Maybe I need to sign up for a half marathon in the future and work towards setting a PR?? I think so!!!

My waning fitness gains have brought my weight loss to a standstill. In fact, if I'm really honest with myself, I've probably even gained a couple of pounds. Not good for the self esteem or the mojo AT ALL! I find myself back at the old vacay excuses again...it's too hard to eat healthily on vacation; vacation is a time to splurge a little; I'll work it off when I get back home; etc. Well, what do you know, my 10 days of "relaxed" eating turned into a month of ignoring my typically better eating habits. I've found myself having a daily splurge or two rather than the occasional treat here or there.  Wine or dessert?  Why choose?  Doing that too often catches up to me especially when I'm not exercising as hard as I used to.  On top of it all, I'm working towards weaning the boys, which means my body is needing fewer and fewer calories.  Time to get more intentional with my eating and not graze all day long.  I'm going to watch my portion sizes, eat healthy meals at regular intervals, cut back on the snacking, and limit the splurges.  I CAN DO THIS!  I feel SOOO much better all around when I do.

Sorry for the rambling but sometimes it helps to put it out there, vent a bit, and hold myself accountable.  I think it's also good for us all to remind ourselves that EVERYONE struggles from time to time, even the most fit of us, but it's not an excuse to throw in the towel.  It's a chance to refocus, recommit, and start seeing results again.  Not a bad way to go into my 4th year of marriage.  Happy 3rd anniversary to us tomorrow!!!!

What do you do when you find yourself in a funk?  I'd love to hear your solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment