Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Unplugged

This morning as I got ready for my run, I discovered that my phone wasn't charged which meant I would either have to wait for it to charge in order to have my GPS and music with me while I ran, or I could just go without it, something which is completely out of the norm for me.  I decided to step out of my comfort zone and run phone-free, and stroller-free (GASP!) and it was such a relaxing, pleasant experience.  Don't get me wrong, I love having music music to power me through my workouts, and the nerd in my loves to know precisely when I have completed each mile and at what pace I completed it, but it was incredibly freeing to JUST RUN.  I had a heart-to-heart with God, something I've been working on more often, I let my mind wander and dream, I paid attention to my surroundings and enjoyed the colors in the sky as well as the sounds of the birds.  I had no idea how fast I was going, although I knew I wasn't dragging and I wasn't sprinting.  I maintained a comfortable pace, which is very good for any training plan.  I could have run forever but decided to stop at 5 miles, satisfied with a decent workout which wasn't too challenging or too easy.  What I thought would be a torchurous run, turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant start to my day and I plan on incorporating more electronic-free runs into my fitness plan.  If you're like me and the thought of running without all of your gear makes you a little nervous, I challenge you to give running without all your gadgets a try and see what you think.  You just might like it.  Let me know how it goes.  Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment