Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Triceps Targeting Workout

I have noticed that my triceps are not nearly as strong as my biceps, so in an attempt to try to even things out, I have added more triceps exercises into my upper body workouts and backed off a bit on the biceps moves.  Today I did a "triceps-targeted" workout which I really loved.  It incorporated all the other major muscle groups of the upper body-- biceps, shoulders, chest, and back as well as some plyometrics.  I will definitely be doing this workout again.  I loved it!

I alternated each set from the "triceps exercises" list with a set from the "other" list.  You'll notice that every other exercise is a triceps exercise.  After you do the workout, your arms will remind you that every other set was a triceps set.  They will be ON FIRE.  I never rested more than to get a drink of water or get the next exercise ready since I wanted to keep my heart rate up. It was GREAT!

Triceps Exercises:
  • Lying barbell triceps extension --  4 sets of 12
  • Standing dumbbell triceps extension --  4 sets of 12
  • Close-grip bench press (elbows in) -- 4 sets of 12
  • Triceps kickbacks -- 4 sets of 12
  • Triceps pressdown -- 4 sets of 12

Other Exercises:
  • Bent-over barbell row -- 2 sets of 15
  • Flat bench dumbbell press -- 2 sets of 15
  • Barbell upright row -- 2 sets of 15
  • Barbell biceps curl -- 2 sets of 15
  • Various plank exercises --  2 sets of 1 minute
  • Burpees --  1 set of 15, 1 set of 12 (these are hard :-) )
  • Mountain climbers -- 2 sets of 30 seconds
  • Jumping jacks -- 2 sets of 50
  • Squat jumps -- 2 sets of 15
  • Push ups -- 2 sets of 15
I finished up with a 10 minute cool down on the elliptical.  The whole workout took about 40 minutes.  Try it out and let me know what you think.






No comments:

Post a Comment