Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Simple and Effective Upper Body Workout

The gloomy weather this morning put me in the mood for a lazy morning so I skipped going to the gym and instead listened to a hunch that told me I'd be stuck inside most of the day with the boys and an at-home workout might be just the thing to break up the monotony of the day.  Turns out, my hunch was right.  I got in a great upper-body workout while the boys watched and played beside me.  I kept it simple, something I don't do often, and enjoyed the workout.

My workout consisted of supersets.  I performed 4 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise back to back only resting for 1 minute between supersets.  The supersets included the following:
  • Dumbbell Chest Press on ball and Bent-Over Rows
  • Chest Flyes on ball and Lat Pulldowns using a resistance band over the door
  • Overhead Press, Hammer Curls, and Overhead Triceps Extension
I rounded out the workout with 10 minutes of plyometrics doing each of the following exercises for a minute, and repeating the circuit twice.
  • Jumping jacks
  • Jump squats
  • High knees
  • Butt kicks
  • Burpees
I also did 5 minutes of various plank exercises, stopping to rest for minimal lengths of time as needed. 

And finally when the sun came out for a bit, I squeezed in a quick 3 mile run for good measure.  After sitting around for a couple of days, my body was ready to move.  Take that, gloomy day.  Make it a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment