Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Leg Day and a Dose of Motivation

Yesteray was seriously lacking in the motivation department so I decided to start things off right today to try to get things going in the right direction. After another pretty rough time getting the boys to sleep, they did finally sleep pretty soundly and let me sleep til about 5:30. After feeding them, I had a cup of coffee while checking my e-mail and getting my facebook fix before deciding to nudge myself out into the cold to go to the gym. I was glad to not be working out outside in the 37 degree weather. Yes, I'm a cold weather baby now that I've got that thin Florida blood. Once inside the warm gym, I got right to work on my leg workout. This morning I did drop sets. I chose a heavy weight and did as many reps as I could at that weight before dropping the weight down by 10 lbs and continuing to crank out as many reps as possible before dropping the weight again. I continued this sequence until I had hit 50 consecutive reps on each of the following machines:
  • Leg Press
  • Seated Hamstring Curl
  • Leg extension
  • Leg abduction
  • Leg adduction
I went from one machine to the next without stopping to rest until the entire workout was complete.  My legs were on fire at the end which is exactly what I was hoping for.  I finished up my workout with 10 minutes on the stairclimer and 20 minutes on the elliptical machine.  I played around with the intensity and inclines on each machine an did a few 30 second sprints on each machine.  I love to get my heart pumping by doing intervals and sprints. 

I finished up at home with my MuTu System ab routine which involves several variations of planks and other exercises designed to mend my diastasis recti.

While on the elliptical, I read a motivational quote in Shape magazine that I think is relevant for all of us ladies.  Jay Cardiello says, Being fit isn't just about your reflection in the mirror; it involves how you feel and move, as well as how your health affects the people in your life, including you children, family and friends.  If you focus on those elements rather than your appearance, you will see a transformation.  It was exactly what I needed to read as I continue to struggle with body image issues, especially in the stomach region after the birth of my twin boys.  I don't like what I see in the mirror, even though it is slowly improving.  I need to focus on what really matters--my health and fitness, my wonderful family who means the world to me, all the blessings I have in my life.  When I think about things that way, my stomach issue doesn't seem to matter as much.  Time is on my side and I know my hard work will pay off in time.  When I see how my fitness level affects me as a mother and how staying in shape allows me to keep up with my twin boys, I know I see the transformation he is referring to.  As I get stronger every day, I continue to improve myself as a mother, as a wife, and as a friend.  I hope you can see the transformation in yourself as well and if not, get out there and make it happen.  Fitness is about way more than the reflection in the mirror.  Embrace it!

I'd love to hear your thoughts.  What motivates you?  How do you stay focused on what really matters in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment