Search This Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Still Waiting on that Fall Weather...

So it's officially fall but for those of us in South Florida, other than the pumpkin spice lattes that are available at the coffee shops, I feel like the season hasn't arrived yet.  The thermometer is still edging close 90 during midday at our house and the AC is still running most of the day.  I'm quite certain I've complained about this time of year in the sunshine state every year I've lived here and this year is no exception.  I'll be honest, I'm jealous of all of you northerners who get to wear sweaters and boots these days, or even just jeans instead of shorts being a necessity, and I'm especially jealous of your changing leaves and open windows.  Give me a couple of months though and I'll be one happy mama again.  I sure do love winter in these parts :-)  In the meantime, I'll suffer through the heat for a little longer and maybe crank the AC so I can sip a hot latte and pretend I'm somewhere cooler for a bit :-) 

On the flip-side, this part of living in Florida isn't too shabby...



...you'll never find this mama complaining about play-dates at the beach.  This is most definitely going to become a regular thing once the cooler temps are here.  Breezy days at the beach are the best if you ask me.

In other news, Mickey and I kicked off my second Whole30 (his first) this week.  I'm relaxing the rules just a bit for myself and allowing myself the occasional single glass of red wine.  I'm remaining strict (so far at least) about the rest.  Here's to hoping a little blog accountability keeps me on the straight and narrow.  Meals these days has been including tons of veggies, plenty of healthy fats, and a good dose of protein too...


...the thing I love about this plan is how it includes only real, whole foods and I never feel like I'm starving myself.  I'm on day 5 and haven't made it over the cravings hump yet but am definitely settling into the routine and feeling good about it.

We had a couple of fun story times this week.  Tuesday morning's group enjoyed stories about embracing our unique qualities and being a good friend...



...and Wednesday evening's group got to snuggle up with some cozy books about animals in those lovely, colder parts of our planet...


Thursday we got some great news from the Orthopedic doctor.  Mason's broken clavicle is healing perfectly and he's able to go back to being a "boy" which for him means riding his bike again...
  

...and jumping on the trampoline.  We're still waiting for the nighttime rain to quit so we can make it to a dry park one early morning in the near future.  You know us, we like the place all to ourselves and not too hot yet.

The return of all that energetic play must be wearing Mason out again because he's still napping these days while this guy refuses and insists on snacking instead...



...he even tells me he doesn't need a bowl cause he has two hands.  Of course!  What was I thinking???

Our weekend kicked off with an incredibly hot and sweaty stroller run...


...I sure do love my running buddies, but the extra weight of the stroller made me feel extra sluggish this morning.  Gotta do it more often so it doesn't tire me out so quickly.  Did I mention some cooler temps might help too??  ha!

The boys kicked off their fun at Lowes today building these lovely firetrucks...


I'll be honest.  There are no photos of the building process because this one was way harder than it looks.  I think I had to help the boys take it apart 3 times...times two trucks.  I'll blame my inability to follow directions on the excitement of everything else going around there while we were building.  

It was really a lot of fun there with all the vehicles they had brought in...


...we even got to test out the simulator for the race car.  I had to help out since it was designed for people larger than 3 feet tall and quickly discovered I'd never make it as a race car driver with my cautious driving skills.  Oh well!  Better safe than sorry...even in a simulator.  HAHA!

The firetruck was huge hit too...




We celebrated the completion of that big morning with some treats.  Giant lollipops for the boys...


...and a newly discovered favorite larabar for me...


...time to stock up on these delicious bars the next time they're on sale.  They are incredibly good and satisfying with only 3 ingredients...dates, almonds, and dried cherries.  Maybe I'll even try my hand at making my own.  

The rest of our day included some other errands along with some necessary entertainment for the boys in the form of Christmas wish-list making...


...and silly hat wearing :-).  It's not even October and the Thanksgiving stuff is out at Target.  Good grief!!


...makes me wish for cooler temps even more.  Come on, fall!!

Operation wear everyone out was successful, it seems, only for me.  The boys are still chock-ful of energy and I'm ready to curl up on the couch.  Time to help them burn off some energy :-)  Peace out!














No comments:

Post a Comment