Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

Some Book Talk

After a night with no air conditioning, a late start to my morning, and a potty-training boy who pooped on the rug, I did NOT make it out the door for my training run early this morning but I'll squeeze in my sprint work this afternoon on the air conditioned treadmill at the gym.  My plan is to do a half mile warm up, then alternate 6 quarter mile sprints with quarter mile recoveries before cooling down with a half mile jog.  I'm hoping I have time to squeeze in some drop-sets using the upper body machines as well.  I'm looking forward to getting my sweat on!

Despite the crazy morning, there was no way I was going to miss MOPS this morning.  Let me just tell you, I LOVE MOPS!  If you are a mother of little ones and you don't go to MOPS, I suggest you figure out a way to make it a part of your life.  I can guarantee you won't regret the support, love, and friendship the women in these groups can give you.  What a tremendous blessing the women in my groups are to me.  (Yes, I as a matter of fact, I love MOPS so much that I go to two different ones.  I'm a MOPS junkie!)

The group that met today is the one that's doing the book study using Francine Rivers' book, A Lineage of Grace.


I'll be honest with you;  I wasn't excited about having one more thing I had to do, but boy am I glad I decided to give this book a chance.  It gives some amazing insight into some amazing women from the Bible and led to some great discussions today.  The part we discussed today dealt with Tamar.  Talk about DRAMA!  It was like reading a soap opera which made it a real page turner.  

Our table's overall takeaway from our discussion questions was that we really need to TRUST GOD!  He sees the big picture and he knows what he's doing.  He has a plan.  We have such tunnel vision compared to his amazing vision.  If you look back on your past, God's work is obvious, and you have to trust that eh will carry his good work to completion in you.  Will it always be easy?  HECK NO!  But he has a plan, and it's a GOOD ONE!  Trust HIM!  I seem to constantly be reminded of this as I try to take the control away from God and handle things on my own.  Today, it was especially helpful to hear.  

The story also shows that God can and does use EVERYONE for his purpose.  We don't have to be perfect for God to use us, and good thing, because none of us are.  He seems to carry out some of his best work in situations where we'd least expect it.  It's all pretty amazing when you sit back and think about it.  

I'm not only a MOPS junkie, I'm a book club junkie as well I guess. My book club book, The Happiness Project, has been keeping my interest quite well too.  


She has some rules for herself that she continually refers back to throughout the book.  One of the rules that's making a big impression on me is her rule to "Be Gretchen."  In my case, it would be, "Be Rachel."  So often we try to be what we think others want us to be rather than just being true to ourselves.  I find that to be so true, especially in mothering.  We have ideas about how we're "supposed" to be, but we'd be better off if we'd just be the people God made us to be.  It's not an excuse to avoid self-improvement, but it does give us a bit more freedom to be able to say, "I tried that and it just doesn't work for me."  I think we need to remember that the same rule applies to our kids.  We have to let them be themselves, rather than trying to mold them into what we think they "should" be.  I find it especially relevant to my mothering of twin boys.  They may look the same, but they are VERY DIFFERENT children.  It's liberating to give yourself the freedom to be yourself.  Try it!

On a COMPLETELY different note, (I have random in my blog title for a reason...) I impulsively bought Method's Vanilla Chai hand soap yesterday and I am in love.  I will defintitely be stocking up on that one.  What a yummy scent and it comes in a pretty bottle too. See...


Don't worry, it's not too girly for your husbands to use as well.  Even though we're not really having an fall-like temps here in south Florida, I still like to enjoy all things fall when this time of year rolls around which reminds me, I think it's about time to get some pumpkins to put me in the spirit even more.  Check out the ones we carved last year...



I bet you were expecting something really exciting right?  I just wanted an excuse to show you my cuties.  I came across these pictures on our apple TV slide show this afternoon.  It's hard to believe how much my little guys have changed since about this time last year.

Time flies...Enjoy every moment!




No comments:

Post a Comment