Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Healthy Alternatives - Pancakes

Ahhh, Sunday! Nothing like a good workout and a good breakfast to start the day off right. I normally try to eat very healthy breakfasts like eggs or egg whites, oatmeal, protein shakes, yogurt, etc but sometimes I get cravings for unhealthier foods like pancakes, muffins, and donuts. I'm a sweets girl after all. In order to eat comfort foods once in a while to indulge my sweet tooth but still remain healthy in the process, I try to come up with healthy alternatives that satisfy my cravings without regret. I am always looking for ways to make healthy versions of unhealthy treats. My husband probably gets tired of all my experimentation in the kitchen. Sometimes my concoctions are a huge success and sometimes they flop. I like to make cookies healthier but replacing the butter with applesauce. I always try to throw in some flaxseed or oatmeal into my baked goods. I like to make chicken wings at home by sautéing chicken strips with a little hot sauce and olive oil. I use greek yogurt in place of mayo and low-fat dairy whenever possible. The possibilities are endless. Today I came up with a winner at breakfast and I wanted to share my pancake recipe with you. They're delicious and ridiculously healthy, a combination that's hard to come by sometimes. Let me know what you think.

Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cups water
4 egg whites
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup blueberries

Cook oatmeal in water until soft, either on the stove or in the microwave. Let cool a bit and put in a food processor or use a hand blender. Pulse until smooth, then add cinnamon, vanilla, banana, flaxseed and mix until blended. Then add egg whites and protein powder and mix until blended. Batter should be thin enough to pour easily but not so thin that it is watery. Add a little water if it's too thick. If it's too thin, add a little protein powder or flaxseed. Stir in blueberries.

Heat griddle to 375 degrees and cook like you would any other pancake. Enjoy with real maple syrup, fresh fruit, or greek yogurt. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment